Monday, March 7, 2011

“So, you wanted boys, huh?”

Noah was given an ark to build. Moses was sent to lead God's people through the desert to the promised land. And me? God gave me boys.

Its funny how after you have one boy, people ask you with every succeeding pregnancy, “So, are you going to try for that girl?” My answer is a resounding “NO”.

I'm pretty sure that God wanted to ensure that I never try for another child by keeping my hands full with 3 boys. Yes, we wanted 3 kids- 3 boys? Debatable. Sure, we knew what to expect with boys... but there's the problem: we knew what to expect with boys. Well, we THOUGHT we knew what to expect with boys. I'm starting to wonder more and more as they get older.

Today I walked in on my 2 oldest sons using whatever wasn't nailed down as projectiles. These items included, but were not limited to, blocks, crayons, and -at one point- a plush Elmo chair that actually sang as it hit Jacob. It was as if Elmo was singing out a war cry, which seemed to instigate Jacob, who retaliated by picking up a tee ball bat and swinging it at his older brother's head. Cameron quickly used a pillow as a shield while wielding a plastic drumstick, but Jacob couldn't have cared less because he was already on top of a craft table they have in their room ready to jump on his brother's mid-section.

I'm unsure of why I allowed the fight to go on that long-

Eh, who am I kidding? It was a long day and if they knocked each other out, I wouldn't have had to listen to another fight later.

Which I did.

Because I ended up stopping that particular fight just in time.

Eh, give me a break- blood is difficult to get out of fabric surfaces.  I couldn't have let it go on too much longer.

And no, I won't tell you who “won”, although, in the future, if you see Jacob's name in lights at a boxing match, don't hesitate to place your bet on him. The kid has some moves. Its as if he's being positioned by some unseen force...

When I finally stepped in, though, to stop the madness, that's when I realized that this -these boys- are my mission from God. They looked at me with pissed off looks and whined, “But mom! We were having fun!” Yeah. Fun. Its all fun and games until Elmo takes you out.

If I can raise them up to adulthood without them killing each other (or me killing them- I'm kidding! Sort of.), then I'll win God's favor.

I have to tell myself this, honestly, because its either this or God is up in Heaven right now saying, “HA! You asked for 3 kids! Well, here you go!”

1 comment:

  1. i suppose it is more about me than anyone that i have always been a bit put-off and offended by the *don't you want a girl?" question. you could have 20 boys and they will all come into this world with their own likes/dislikes, personalities, strength and weaknesses. i think today is the day you are grateful little bean cannot pick up an elmo chair. most days--it's the little things that get you through. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments almost as much as my coffee, so leave me some love letting me know that you stopped by- I'll be sure to visit you, too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...