Friday, August 5, 2011

Friday's Writing Prompt: My son's heroes

Mama’s Losin’ It
Mama's Losing It: 1.) Write about a time you or someone you know saved the day!


he·ro/ˈhi(ə)rō/Noun
1. A person, typically a man, who is admired for courage or noble qualities.

When you're young, teachers will sometimes ask you to write about your hero.

For some, that hero might be a professional athlete. For others, they might write about police and fire men and women. Some might even write about all those men and women overseas that are putting their lives on the line to maintain our freedom.

I've met firemen and women, police men and women- I even have people near and dear to me that are off at war right now.

And, while I question idolizing athletes and calling THEM heroes, I think its safe to say that a hero can be found almost anywhere...

...I just never thought that I would be considered a hero.

When my oldest son, Cameron, was a toddler, we went to visit my parents after church one Sunday. I remember that my mom hadn't been home, but my dad was there. I was actually really happy about that because my husband and I had just gotten a new computer and I wanted to tell my dad -a computer know-it-all, in my eyes- all about it.

When we got in the front door, I set Camo on the living room floor and went to talk with my dad who was near the kitchen. I couldn't see Camo (there was a couch in my view), but considering that we were in front of the door that led out to the back yard, I wasn't worried. I laughed to myself that the most he would be able to do is destroy their TV equipment.

I thought.

I was just responding to my dad's question about RAM when we couldn't hear Camo anymore. We weren't worried- like I said, we were in front of the only accessible door to the back yard- but we just wanted to make sure he wasn't destroying a bit more than TV equipment.

When we couldn't find him in any of the bedrooms, we got a little worried, but we weren't panicking. Like I said, we were in front of the only accessible door to the back yard, and my parents room had been closed to keep him out.

After rechecking the rooms, though, my dad asked me if I thought he could have gone in the back yard. How, though? He rushed out to the backyard while I rechecked their room which had a door to the backyard.

Nope- the slider and the curtain covering it had been closed. Wouldn't he have left the door open if he had gone out that way?

That's when I heard my dad scream my name.

He was pulling Camo out of their fishpond.

Ya know, when you take CPR courses, you never ACTUALLY think you'll have to use them. Most sane people only take them 'just in case'. That was the day I found out that CPR really does save lives.

While my dad called 9-1-1, I continued to try and get my baby to breathe. He finally did right before the paramedics showed up.

So, that day, there were actually quite a few heroes and angels in the mix- my dad and I were just a couple.

Some people might chastise me by saying,"Well, you and your dad wouldn't have had to save your son if you had kept a better eye on him." Maybe that's true.

And, maybe we should have expected a 1 1/2 year old to be able to open a closed door EVEN THOUGH he was always too lazy to even look under a blanket for his shoes.

And, maybe we -I- shouldn't have assumed he hadn't gone into a room simply because the door had been closed- ALL the doors had been closed- leading out to the back yard, EVEN THOUGH he had never closed a door a day in his life.

And, maybe my parents were stupid and foolish to have a pond in their back yard knowing full well that they had a grandson EVEN THOUGH hundreds and thousands of adults buy homes SPECIFICALLY looking for homes with pools EVEN THOUGH kids have DIED in pool related accidents over the years and I don't see anyone saying that those people are fool hardy.

(And, FYI- even if your pond/pool is above ground, did you know its still a drowning hazard? Its true! Trust me- if a 1 1/2 year old has the piece of mind to cover his tracks and close all the doors behind him, then they can DEFINITELY climb steps/ stairs/what not to get into it. Just a thought.)

So, what could most definitely have turned out to be a tragedy, wasn't, because -with a few angels watching out for us- my dad and I became my son's heroes that day.

Too bad he doesn't treat me as such anymore, but whatev.

5 comments:

  1. WOW! how scary. It's such a good thing you knew cpr. I took the class also, but I often wonder if I'd remember enough if the time came to use it.

    hi from MK's

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was scary. I took CPR, but I never want to have to use it. And don't let anyone tell you that you weren't watching your son, because it doesn't matter how watchful the parent is, those little boogers are sneaky. My oldest (she's 21 now) ate half of a suppository one time - she was 3 at the time.

    Stopping by from VoiceBoks!
    http://ziggysblogs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kids are crazy smart. CRAZY smart. My son can open any childproof top... he's 4. There've been many 911 calls AND my Husband is an EMT. This kid is putting us through our paces. I'm too young for gray hair. :/ I like how you covered all the nasty responses you MIGHT have gotten had you not covered them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! What a scary time! I'm so glad it turned out well. Thank goodness you knew CPR!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Scary story. I'd be surprised if anyone gave you grief over it. Accidents happen with kids ALL the time. Sounds like you reacted in the best way possible. Kids often drown when there are a lot of people around, because people think someone else is watching (I know of a 5th grader who died this way on a beach field trip).

    ReplyDelete

I love comments almost as much as my coffee, so leave me some love letting me know that you stopped by- I'll be sure to visit you, too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...