Monday, September 5, 2011

Guest Post Monday- Insignificant at Best!

As I told someone else, my husband is seriously thinking that I'm doing "other things" on the internet because I'm on here so often, so I decided that the easiest way to keep him from divorcing me...

...oh, who am I kidding- he'd never divorce me.  Who would cook his meals?

Anyways, though, I thought I would start doing Guest Posts on Mondays... or at least on the Mondays I have someone to do it. *hint, hint*

This week's guest is awesome- seriously.  The first time I read an entry by her, I questioned if we had been separated at birth because we had such similar tastes and humor.  Her blog has a little bit of everything because, as she's said, her mind doesn't stick to just one subject so why should her blog, and that makes perfect sense to me.  She claims that she's no one special, but I think she's pretty fabulous, and I'm sure you will, too. And once you've discovered her awesomeness, go to her blog and check out more from her!

So, without further ado- Lisa from Insignificant at Best!

Distracted Driving- Are we going overboard?


Distracted driving. It’s all the media and everyone else seems to talk about these days. All we hear about is how we shouldn’t “text and drive”, “eat while driving” or how we should “pull over before talking on the cell phone”. I don’t know about you, but here in Michigan we have some cities that have laws stating that we can’t talk on our cell phones while driving and there is even one city that says you can’t do anything, while driving. I mean talk on the phone, eat, drink, etc. when you’re driving. I mean how’s a girl supposed to eat breakfast in the morning?!? 

Anyways, I’m finding that it’s so “in your face” that I’m starting to get annoyed. The reasons are countless. First of all with “hands free” technology, now-a-days talking on your cell phone is like talking to a passenger in the car. I know that on more than one occasion I was so into talking to the person in the passenger seat that I missed my exit on the expressway. Does this mean we’re going to have to stop talking altogether when the vehicle is in motion? How about the crying infant in the back seat? Should I pull over and give them Benadryl so they fall asleep and shut up? I’m going to go with a big fat “no” on that one.

The next thing that drives me insane is all of these digital signs we have everywhere. You know the ones that say catchy little sayings like “Construction workers – give ‘em a break!” or “Stay alive, don’t drink and drive!”, when they are supposed to be warning us of upcoming traffic jams, road closures, construction, etc. I’m sorry, but I have to look up and read these ever changing signs with their life altering tips, which means I’m…DISTRACTED.

Let me just share with you some pictures of the gems in the Detroit Metro Area (Oh and let’s just pretend I didn’t take these with my cell phone while driving. What can I say? I’m a rebel like that.):


“Drunk driving, over the limit, under arrest.” Really?!? I had no clue that drunk driving could lead to an arrest. Next thing you’re going to tell me is that I’m putting my life and other people’s lives at risk when I drive drunk.

 
“Construction and traffic info www.mi.gov/drive.” Hmmm…should I grab a pen to write the website address down or just pull out my Smart Phone and go directly to the website right then and there?



“Avoid cell phone use while driving.” Ironic that I took a picture of this sign with my cell phone, don’t ya think? Also, ironic that a sign that’s warning me not to distract myself while using my cell phone is causing me to be distracted.

Not to mention all of the other billboards that line the roads, especially the new-fangled electronic ones that change between 2 or 3 advertisements. Ever catch yourself staring at those while they change? It just seems to me that this has all gotten a little out of control and frankly, I’m tired of it.

How about you? Do you agree? Disagree? Have funny electronic sign messages to share? Please do so in the comments below!


(***If you'd like to be a guest blogger, be sure to let me know!***)

9 comments:

  1. All of that is so true! My worst thing is when my boys scream, Cop!, Mustang!, Bird!, Plane!, etc. It always makes me jump. I swear one of these days I'm going to have a wreck just from that.

    I'm your newest follower from voiceBoks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed your post today! In CA we have lots of those electronic messages and I agree-they nearly make me drive into the gravel! I also do a lot of mountain snow driving, and when we have to tune into the road updates the reception is so full of static that I have to seriously concentrate on that instead of the road!

    http://mamawolfe-living.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. When Lisa said that she was going to use this as her post, I about died laughing because -living in CA, myself- I can't help but think about all the e-signs we see (and the stupid things I'VE done trying to read them, lol!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Kim: LOL! I can imagine that would be incredibly distracting! I wonder if you should strap your kids to the roof of your car when you drive...or maybe muzzles?

    @mamawolfe: I'm so glad I'm not the only one when it comes to the electronic messages! I certainly don't envy your mountain snow driving! You are one brave woman!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG, those electronic billboards drive me CRAZY! I'm a slow reader, so by the time I'm done with three words, I've already driven past it. They always try to cram so much useless info on those things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So funny when you do see those flip changing billboards and if you miss it, then you say 'oh what did that say?' Very true.
    Love your post Lisa :)
    Thanks for guest posting SortaSuperMom, I try to be super mom, too-kindaof :(
    Wishing you mombloggers a happy day,
    Barbara
    Español para Niños (Spanish for Kids)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Elizabeth: Yes they do. The latest one I saw today was "Keep your thumbs on the wheel, not the text." Seriously???

    @Barbara: Thank you! I'm glad you liked it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome post! I agree that the electronic signs are very distracting. I can't wait until they try to pass the law saying you can't speak while in your own car driving.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Christina: That is definitely coming soon. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments almost as much as my coffee, so leave me some love letting me know that you stopped by- I'll be sure to visit you, too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...