Friday, September 23, 2011

"Getting to Know You" Post

Question of the week: What is one of your favorite quotes and why?


Oh, so many, lol. My favorite quotes -I'm going to use a couple in this post- are all by Mark Twain.  He was a pretty wise and funny guy.


My first quote I'd like to share is this one: 

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
- Mark Twain 


The blush will fade from your cheeks; the tattoo will fade with time; those that witnessed your act will either forget or die from old age- but what if you succeed and your attempt is life changing in a good way?  America wasn't borne of "safety".  People took leaps of faith that there was something better to be had, so they sailed away into the unknown.

Action speaks louder than words but not nearly as often.
- Mark Twain
 



You can say whatever you like, but people will always look to see if your living reflects your claims.  I tell this to my boys CONSTANTLY.


It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
- Mark Twain



Oh, how I wish that so many people in this world would learn from this quote.


And these last two just make me laugh and I wanted to share:


When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened or not.
- Mark Twain



When a boy turns 13, seal him in a barrel and feed him through a knot hole.
When he turns 16, plug up the hole.
- Mark Twain
 



(the last one might as well be my motto for this blog.  I wholeheartedly agree!) 

4 comments:

  1. I love all your quotes! Those are great!!!!

    This one reminds me of my best friend of 32 years: When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened or not.
    - Mark Twain

    She is the queen of exaggeration! We love to tease her about it! LOL

    Lisa
    www.insignificantatbest.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great quotes!! I love them all!! I can't think of a favorite quote although I'm sure I will think of twenty when I log off!! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I swear I have FAR too many Mark Twain quotes I love. Lisa- that quote reminds me of my oldest most of all, lol, so I know what you mean. Kathy- you probably WILL come up with quite a few in time. I came up with even more once I pressed 'publish'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction."
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

    I like it because it is so true and can apply to so many various things in our lives. Bonhoeffer wrote this related to Hitler/ Nazi movement and those who opposed it but didn't know what to do to try and stop it.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments almost as much as my coffee, so leave me some love letting me know that you stopped by- I'll be sure to visit you, too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...